Wednesday 10 August 2016

Second stage of EVS : Summer Camp!

About my second step, here during my EVS in Zamość.

For me, it has been the perfect time, what I really needed, what I expected of my volunteerism.

In this new “era” of our volunteer activity, we worked with a lot of children. And I say work, because I have to say something. Actually, it was no work at all, for me it was spending time with the greatest people I’ve ever met here in Poland.
 They were so restless in a good way. They wanted me to be moving around all the time, playing with them, going together, partnering to the activities we had for them, just everything…

At first I was a bit overwhelmed, I have to say. First day, it was like fifty kids waiting for you to say something, I don’t know, just talk, and it was really difficult by that time, when you barely know them. They were looking at me, also, with a bit of “what should I do now” expression on their faces. It’s understandable, we couldn’t say much, they mostly speak Polish and just a little of English, and I can’t speak Polish at all. But they were so helpful! Although with this obstacle of language, they were making a big effort to try to communicate with me. Also I did, I tried really hard to understand what they were trying to tell me, and most of the times, I could! But all the credit is just for them, these little kids were even doing mime for me to get what they were meaning. And yes, It was hard to communicate, but not impossible.

We spent a lot of great times together, we went to many activities, and I am really glad that they loved everything we did. We visited Arsenał Museum, where children could see many tanks, helicopters, soldier clothing, weapons and everything related to this part of history. We also went to a Chess Museum. They really enjoyed activities like going to the swimming pool, or to playgrounds, and it was there, at this “plac zabaw” where I also enjoyed the most. It was a bit difficult to play with children under 32 degrees in the sun, with uncomfortable clothes (my fault), and places full of sand with uncomfortable shoes (yes, also my fault), but just looking at their faces, you could tell that they wanted me to play too, so every little thing I had against me, just faded. We played “tag”, this game that you have to go chasing the other ones, until you reach them. We also played football and with hula hoops. Board games were also funny.

We visited this stunning town called Zwierzyniec, in Roztocze National Park, and it was the place that I liked the most. It was astonishingly beautiful. Just nature, crowded with trees and forest, and this amazing lake with an island and a church on it. Ok, I was speechless. Kids loved it, although they already knew it, as they are actually living here. But they were pretty amused. Now I know how to say in Polish horse, bear, wolf, deer, and actually every animal that you can find in this place, just because these children wanted me to know their Polish names, and I love that! And talking about animals, we also went to the zoo! We saw a lot of different animals, we laughed a lot, and the best part of it all was ,of course, these kid’s faces, they were so happy J

We went to cinema, and we watched some movies in Polish (nie rozumiem), but I liked it. Children also played in an obstacle course for kids, and we went to many parks in Zamość. One of the most interesting places we went, it was a “słodkie manufaktura”, a workshop were workers make candies and lollipops in front of you, and after, you can make your own lollipop. Of course, children were pretty happy with this activity, and adults like me too hehehe

By the end of the activities of the day, we used to go to the canteen of their school, where we ate with the rest of the teachers/prosze pani, and I also would like to thank them, because they were really helpful too, and of course, fun to spend time with!
At the end, we always came back to Okrąglak, and we spent the rest of our day playing to everything. There was always something new to play with, or something that we just made up. Ok, I always ended up sweating, because fifty children are usually tireless and unstoppable, but I appreciate sooo much this time together! J

It’s been hard to say goodbye to every children that we met here, especially because after two weeks with each group of kids, sharing many things, a lot of great experiences, now I feel way too bonded to these kids. They gave me as gifts a magnet of Poland, a Lewandowsky notebook, balls from Zwierzyniec, and some bracelets, one of them handmade. All of it, related to Poland. I’ll be wearing them J

Well, that’s all for now. Thank you so much for reading!

P.S: I haven’t eaten these lollipops, they’re coming to Spain with me, as another memory of the greatest experience here in Zamość!









No comments:

Post a Comment